Issues & Comments

Contributed from Dr. Michael Murphy:

“Go fund me page for : former Lt Col ‘ LAW’ Murphy from the Oregon ANG ;
Money will be used to fund legal efforts in obtaining medical license, appeals before the BCMR and privacy act violations ect . — I am setting it up to be tax deductible.
Please contact me if interested .
Contact James Michael Murphy on Facebook or email – murphmic@ohsu.edu
Oregon Health And Sciences University – Portland ”

10 Responses to Issues & Comments

1. William Pond says:

EFFECTIVE MIDNIGHT, SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2015 MHS LEARN WILL NO
    LONGER BE AVAILABLE FOR TRAINING

MHS Learn has been designated a legacy
    system and as such, will be fully decommissioned this year. Joint Knowledge
    Online (JKO) has been designated the new MHS enterprise e-learning solution.
    Please use the following URL for the list of current active training on MHS
    Learn that will migrate to JKO by May 31,
    2015:

Completing
    training: To receive credit for MHS Learn courses in progress, learners must
    complete training prior to midnight, 5/31/2015!

EFFECTIVE MIDNIGHT, SUNDAY,
    MAY 31, 2015 MHS LEARN TRAINING RECORDS WILL NO LONGER BE ACCESSIBLE

Selected
    staff training records associated with MHS Learn courses migrating to JKO will
    transfer to JKO. Although every effort will be made to successfully transfer
    those training records, there is potential for loss of data. Training records
    for courses not migrating to JKO will not be transferred. For updated
    information from the DHA Education and Training Directorate about which training
    records will transfer to JKO and which will not, please watch the
    “Announcements” section of the MHS Learn home page.

Printing training
    certificates: Prior to 5/31/2015, DHSS strongly encourages all learners to print
    and save copies of their MHS Learn training completion certificates. Training
    certificates learners should print and save include:

Certificates for their
    most recently completed HIPAA and JCAHO Annual Regulatory training – only
    certificates for the most recently completed training are available

Certificates for courses with CEUs

Certificates for any training that
    will not transition to JKO if they will need proof after 5/31/2015 that they
    completed the training

Please click following URL for the instructions on
    locating and printing MHS Learn training
    certificates:

For

2. Jill Hendra says:

with the end of Readiness Frontiers…I have lost track of AANGFS.
    please forward membership $$ to get me back in the green with group!

• Doc Pond says:

Jill,
      Great to hear from you. Your question is a good one. The Alliance did produce an RSV program along with Category 1 CME last summer.
      The lectures and CME are here, just click the RSVs. There is also an application on the homepage with the address of Frank “da Banker” Yang.
      Best always,
      Bill

3. Doc Pond says:

Col Frank Yang: A Flight Safety Proposal

~~Flight Surgeons,
    Regarding aircraft mishap investigation, here is an interesting proposal by Col Frank Yang and some discussion.  Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts. The Alliance of Air National Guard Flight Surgeons serves as a vehicle for the open exchange of ideas among those who are interested in aerospace medicine and is supported by its members.   Let’s not hear the sounds of crickets.
    Bill
    ==================================

Frank,

Sounds like a great initiative…I don't have any objections from the Society
    standpoint (we can't "endorse" it per se from our federal positions).

Thanks,

Mark
    =====================================================
    Subject: RE: Enhancing flight safety and investigation

Hi All

Many have asked "Why can't they design some of the info and tracking systems
    in such a way that they can NOT be turned off" – of course, there's the
    consideration of being able to break a circuit if a short occurs w/ potential
    for fire (but it may be possible to design a system so safe and isolated, with fire suppression, that any remaining risk is well worth the benefit of being Un Turn-Offable by bad guys). Such a system would also serve as a deterrent…

Buck

========================================================

SWAT & Doogie & Cassie,

Plz see below email trail.
     I meant to include you in my original send. I apologize. I am still TDY OCONUS & do not have officers' list with me. Emailing from memory.

Plz forward to "Schmitty" for me.

Which other AANGFS & SocSAS Officers did I UN-intentionally omit?

Senior Statesman Bill,

Always great to receive your input.
     I am happy you have "no objection to querying membership".
     I hope other leaders feel similiarly as we do.

Meanwhile, to answer your very good and key questions:

– Cost of storage: Cost of actual "cloud" type storage is small, as internet and telecoms have driven the per unit price down. And storage space could be reclaimed as industry may decide after what duration the info may be replaced.
    My Texas Instrument calculator cost me a whopping $130 freshman year in
    college and had to be ordered in advance. That was ridiculously long ago (many decades), and $130 was a lot of dough back then. Now calculators can be easily bought, cheaply, in Wal-Mart.

– Cost of transmitters: Should not be prohibitively high, as off-shelve products exist: satellite phones; current airline jets already transmit maintenance data to ground stations, such that parts are moved to meet arriving planes for maintenance/repairs, to turn jets around and continue the flow. Why should such technology not be adopted for passenger safety, not just airline profitability and flow?!

– Certainly total system's cost pales in comparison to the cost of search and recovery, which easily runs into the millions and still no answer, as in Malaysia MH370. And the cost of litigation for each life lost or each person mangled and even the cost of the jet, insurance premium savings will more than pay for the system. I will gladly pay $5 more per ticket each way to cover the cost of these safety features, and most passengers will. But we probably won't have to, as market edge and increased ridership with such safety-enhanced airlines will likely make up the systems cost differential.

– Cost of ground pilots in the loop: This is the Cadillac version but makes sense: to have pilots in the data loop. So that if system detects discrepancy in autopilot vs. pilot input, or low oxygen tension, alarms can go off, and ground staffers can intervene: i.e. call up the air crew and re-orient them or command emergency oxygen, etc. YES, this could have prevented the Air France crash two years ago (when pilots input opposite autopilot and caused stall and crash – my shortened version) and may have prevented the March Malaysia mishap as well. But we won't know until (or IF) recorders are found.

– Lessons learned: Surely lessons learned, and learned quickly, will enhance safety of future travel. In the case of MH370, as long as recorders are not found, there are no direct lessons to be learned – except the necessity of such real-time transmitters and ground pilots to answer alerts in the data loop.

Between just these two mishaps, some 400 lives could be saved! We, in health care, have as our mission the saving of lives. I feel strongly about this initiative and sincerely hope our membership of health care leaders will support this feasible and sensible idea.

MY WISH: is simply to go back to FAA and airline industry with endorsements from respected flight surgeon communities (AANGFS & Soc State Air Surgeons) that such initiatives be given due consideration.

FY

===================

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:53 AM, William Pond <wwpond@aol.com> wrote:
      Frank et al.

It is always worthwhile to educate and solicit information from the members regarding a public stance on any matter.  I have no objection of querying the members.

Bill

=====================================

==========================================

4. Robert Fortino, D.O. says:

Dear Sir(s): March 23, 2014 When and where is the next RSV class?  I am a FS in NJ, and I am really interested in attending.  I will be performing EMEDS in June and C-Stars in July of 2014.  Also, where can I read some real world cases regarding how flight surgeons handled medical issues?  Are there any cases to learn from?  Thank you, Robert Fortino, LTC, MC, FS, 48R3, 177th MDG, NJANG

=================================

Robert,

Sounds like you are really fired up as a flight surgen.  Great to have you on board.  Looks like the RSV day will be July 26, 2014.

Same format as last year with personal participation for those in the area along with teleconference, CME, RSV and great collegial interaction.

Details on the website as they become available.

As for how real flight surgeons handle medical issues, we have a wealth of knowledge in the Alliance, especially among some of the seasoned (old) flight docs.

Best.

Bill

5. Robert Fortino says:

Dear Sir: I am a flight surgeon with the New Jersey ANG in Atlantic City, and practice internal medicine in the "real world".  My chief FS at the wing is very seasoned and smart.  Eventhough we do consult together with medical issues that deal with fly and non-fly members, we are at times in need of a more definitive plan of care.  Is there someone that we can consult when needed?  Is there a more definitive reg guide that would help us with medical decisions and treatment plan?  I am always looking to learn more, is there classes we can attend or take online?  Thank you for your time and advice.  RF

• Doc Pond says:

RF

Good question.  The definitive authority for the Air National Guard Medical Service is Col Robert “Cutter” Desko, ANG/SGP, at robert.desko@ang.af.mil or phone.(240) 612-8570;  he is very knowledgeable and approachable.  Of course, you can also drop me a note at wwpond@aol.com or call (260) 602-5167.  If there is a specific question or topic, please let me know so that I might refer you to the appropriate reference or regulation. Also feel free to click the link on RSVs for some more topics.  And of course, if you find information that would be of assistance to other flight surgeons, please feel free ot share it.  Thanks,

Bill

Col William W. Pond, MD, SFS, INANG
      Indiana State Air Surgeon
      wwpond@aol.com
      260-602-5167 (cell)
      260-492-0897 (fax)
      5730 Autumn Woods Trail
      Fort Wayne, IN 46835

6. Elka Vargas says:

Thank you Doc. Pond, I truly apperciate your assistance. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit., it can get very hot at times. But, usually we do have great weather. Again, Thank you for your help.

7. Elka Vargas says:

~~Hello Sir,   Currently I am recruiting for a Flight Surgeon for Shaw AFB, SC. If you are interested please dont hesitate to give me a call. Or you can shoot me an e-mail. Respectfully, Elka Vargas 210-566-9995 evargas@nursesetc.net ===========================================

Happy to post. Had an opportunity to visit your state last fall. What a delightful location. Best wishes. Doc Pond